Board of Studies (BOS) of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) provides multitude of academic resources of fairly high quality and dependable sources of study material on each and every subject for CA Intermediate (Integrated Professional Competence) students.
Study Material covers the entire course which is sub-divided into various chapters to enable the students to grasp and understand the subject and strengthen their knowledge in the particular area. Thus, the study material confines the scope of CA Intermediate (IPC) Syllabus while developing each topic.
The Board of Studies of ICAI has always been providing a comprehensive Study Material, Practice Manual on each and every subject in PDF format along with PowerPoint Presentations and Podcasts. CDs have also been developed by the BOS of CA Institute and made available along with the study materials to the students at Intermediate (IPC) Course. You should also read Revision Test Papers (RTP) prepared by BOS of CA Institute for CA IPCC May 2017 examination. Additionally, BOS of ICAI updates study material on a periodical basis and attempt to made simple illustrations and case-studies to highlight the difficult topics in a lucid manner.
CA IPCC Study Material and Practice Manual for May 2017 Exams
In CA Intermediate (IPC) level, you have to study total seven subjects divided into two groups. Group-I of CA Intermediate (IPC) course contain four subjects viz. Accounting, Business Laws, Ethics and Communication, Cost Accounting and Financial Management and Taxation.
Similarly, Group-II of CA Intermediate (IPC) course contain three subjects viz. Advanced Accounting, Auditing and Assurance and Information Technology and Strategic Management.
Paper – 1 (Accounting):
In study material concepts of the topic and the accounting treatment on various transactions has been explained in detail with adequate illustrations. The study material of Paper 1 ‘Accounting’ is divided in fifteen chapters/topics based on the curriculum.
The syllabus of Accounting has an appropriate mix of various topics of sole proprietorship, partnership and companies as the objective of the paper is to gain ability to solve simple problems related to different business entities. Following Chapters are covered in the Paper-1 Accounting of CA IPCC Course Study Material [July 2015 revised Edition]:
MODULE – 1
Chapter 1: Accounting Standards
Chapter 2: Financial Statements of Companies
Chapter 3: Profit or Loss Pre and Post Incorporation
Chapter 4: Accounting for Bonus Issue
Chapter 5: Internal Reconstruction
Chapter 6: Amalgamation
Appendix I: Accounting Standards
Appendix II: Schedule III to the Companies Act, 2013
MODULE – 2
Chapter 7: Average Due Date and Account Current
Chapter 8: Self Balancing Ledgers
Chapter 9: Financial Statements of Not-For-Profit Organisations
Chapter 10: Accounts from Incomplete Records
Chapter 11: Hire Purchase and Instalment Sale Transactions
Chapter 12: Investment Accounts
Chapter 13: Insurance claims for Loss of Stock and Loss of Profit
Chapter 14: Issues in Partnership Accounts
Chapter 15: Accounting in Computerised Environment
Click here to visit ICAI official website to download Practice Manual PowerPoint Presentation and Podcasts of CA Final Course Paper-1 Financial Reporting. If you are Hindi Medium student then, you may also download FR study material in Hindi Medium.
Paper – 2 (Business Laws, Ethics and Communication):
This Paper on Business Laws, Ethics and Communication have been introduced for the CA students at Intermediate (IPC) Course level in a CA course to make the students aware of legal background relating to business and company law.
Out of the total 100 marks allotted to the subject, Law carries a weightage of 60 marks, Ethics of 20 marks and Communication of 20 marks. Following Chapters are covered in the Paper-2 Business Laws, Ethics and Communication of CA IPCC Course Study Material [July 2015 revised Edition]:
- Chapter 1 The Indian Contract Act, 1872
- Chapter 2 The Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881
- Chapter 3 The Payment of Bonus Act, 1965
- Chapter 4 The Employees’ Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952
- Chapter 5 The Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972
- Chapter 6 The Companies Act, 2013
- Chapter 7 Principles of Business Ethics
- Chapter 8 Corporate Governance and Corporate Social Responsibility
- Chapter 9 Workplace Ethics
- Chapter 10 Environment & Ethics
- Chapter 11 Ethics in Marketing and Consumer Protection
- Chapter 12 Ethics in Accounting and Finance
- Chapter 13 Essentials of Communication
- Chapter 14 Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Chapter 15 Group Dynamics
- Chapter 16 Communication Ethics
- Chapter 17 Communicating Corporate Culture, Change and Innovative Spirits
- Chapter 18 Communication in Business Environment
- Chapter 19 Basic Understanding of Legal Deeds and Documents
Click here to visit ICAI official website to download Practice Manual PowerPoint Presentation and Podcasts of CA Final Course Paper-2 Business Laws, Ethics and Communication. If you are Hindi Medium student then, you may also download FR study material in Hindi Medium.
Paper – 3 (Cost Accounting and Financial Management):
There are two parts in this subject viz. Cost Accounting and Financial Management. The Cost Accounting part deals with basic concepts of Cost Accounting, elements of Cost, various methods of Costing and application of costing techniques. Whereas, Financial Management aims to develop your ability in understanding the different concepts and their application in the real life situations.
The syllabus of Part-I Cost Accounting may be segregated into 13 chapters and Part-II Financial Management topics can be grouped into 7 chapters as sited below:
Part I – Cost Accounting
- Chapter 1 Basic Concepts
- Chapter 2 Material
- Chapter 3 Labour
- Chapter 4 Overheads
- Chapter 5 Non Integrated Accounts
- Chapter 6 Job Costing and Batch Costing
- Chapter 7 Contract Costing
- Chapter 8 Operating Costing
- Chapter 9 Process & Operation Costing
- Chapter 10 Joint Products & By Products
- Chapter 11 Standard Costing
- Chapter 12 Marginal Costing
- Chapter 13 Budgets and Budgetary Control
Part II – Financial Management
- Chapter 1 Scope and Objectives of Financial Management
- Chapter 2 Time Value of Money
- Chapter 3 Financial Analysis and Planning
- Chapter 4 Financing Decisions
- Chapter 5 Types of Financing
- Chapter 6 Investment Decisions
- Chapter 7 Management of Working Capital
Click here to visit ICAI official website to download Practice Manual PowerPoint Presentation and Podcasts of CA Final Course Paper-3 Cost Accounting and Financial Management. If you are Hindi Medium student then, you may also download FR study material in Hindi Medium.
Paper – 4 (Taxation):
Under this subject you will be able to understand the basic concepts, especially, the concept of “income”, on which tax is levied under the Income-tax Act, 1961. You need to comprehend the manner of computation of total income, on which income-tax is levied.
Students are introduced to various significant indirect taxes at Intermediate (IPC) level in Part II: Indirect Taxes of Paper 4: Taxation. You are expected to develop an understanding of the basic concepts of the different types of indirect taxes and acquire the ability to analyse the significant provisions of service tax. Thereafter, you would be able to appreciate the scope of syllabus of this subject at the Intermediate (IPC) Course level.
This subject (September 2016 Revised Edition) has been divided into two parts viz. Income Tax and Indirect Tax. These two parts has further segregated into the following chapters:
Part I – Income Tax
- Chapter 1 Basic Concepts
- Chapter 2 Residence and Scope of Total Income
- Chapter 3 Incomes Which Do Not Form Part of Total Income
Chapter 4 Heads of Income
- Chapter 5 Income of Other Persons Included in Assessee’s Total Income
- Chapter 6 Aggregation of Income, Set-Off and Carry Forward of Losses
- Chapter 7 Deductions from Gross Total Income
- Chapter 8 Computation of Total Income and Tax Payable
- Chapter 9 Provisions Concerning Advance Tax and Tax Deducted At Source
- Chapter 10 Provisions for Filing of Return of Income
Part II – Indirect Taxes
- Chapter 1 Basic Concepts of Indirect Taxes
- Chapter 2 Basic Concepts of Service Tax
- Chapter 3 Point of Taxation
- Chapter 4 Valuation of Taxable Service
- Chapter 5 Exemptions and Abatements
- Chapter 6 Service Tax Procedures
- Chapter 7 CENVAT Credit
Click here to visit ICAI official website to download Practice Manual PowerPoint Presentation and Podcasts of CA Final Course Paper-4 Taxation. If you are Hindi Medium student then, you may also download FR study material in Hindi Medium.
Paper – 5 (Advanced Accounting):
After reading this subject you will be able to gain working knowledge of few more professional standards and application of accounting principles to different practical situations. Advanced Accounting examination paper is purely practical based. Therefore, one has to do written practice of good number of questions on each topic.
The study material (July 2015 Edition) of Paper 5 Advanced Accounting is divided into nine chapters/topics based on the entire syllabus of CA IPCC Course.
- Chapter 1 Framework for Preparation and Presentation of Financial Statements
- Chapter 2 Accounting Standards
- Chapter 3 Advanced Issues in Partnership Accounts
- Chapter 4 Company Accounts
- Chapter 5 Financial Statements of Insurance Companies
- Chapter 6 Financial Statements of Banking Companies
- Chapter 7 Financial Statements of Electricity Companies
- Chapter 8 Departmental Accounts
- Chapter 9 Accounting for Branches including Foreign Branches
Click here to visit ICAI official website to download Practice Manual PowerPoint Presentation and Podcasts of CA Final Course Paper-5 Advanced Accounting. If you are Hindi Medium student then, you may also download FR study material in Hindi Medium.
Paper – 6 (Auditing and Assurance):
While studying Auditing and Assurance paper, students are advised to integrate the knowledge acquired in other subjects, specifically, accounting, corporate laws and taxation in a meaningful manner.
For the simplicity of the students it is suggested that the entire syllabus may be segregated into the following nine chapters:
- Chapter 1 Nature of Auditing
- Chapter 2 Basic Concepts in Auditing
- Chapter 3 Preparation for an Audit
- Chapter 4 Internal Control
- Chapter 5 Vouching Control
- Chapter 6 Verification of Assets and Liabilities
- Chapter 7 The Company Audit – I
- Chapter 8 The Company Audit – II
- Chapter 9 Special Audits
Click here to visit ICAI official website to download Practice Manual PowerPoint Presentation and Podcasts of CA Final Course Paper-6 Auditing and Assurance. If you are Hindi Medium student then, you may also download FR study material in Hindi Medium.
Paper – 7 (Information Technology and Strategic Management):
The primary objective for the inclusion of the ‘Information Technology’ at Intermediate (IPC) Level of the Chartered Accountancy course is to provide conceptual understanding of different aspects of Information Systems, Business Processes and their automation and management.
The study material of IT is divided into five chapters based on the revised syllabus and Strategic Management is divided into seven chapters.
Section A: Information Technology
- Chapter 1 Business Process Management & IT
- Chapter 2 Information Systems and IT Fundamentals
- Chapter 3 Telecommunications and Networks
- Chapter 4 Business Information System
- Chapter 5 Business Process Automation through Application Software
Section B: Strategic Management
- Chapter 1 Business Environment
- Chapter 2 Business Policy and Strategic Management
- Chapter 3 Strategic Analysis
- Chapter 4 Strategic Planning
- Chapter 5 Formulation of Functional Strategy
- Chapter 6 Strategy Implementation and Control
- Chapter 7 Reaching Strategic Edge
Click here to visit ICAI official website to download Practice Manual PowerPoint Presentation and Podcasts of CA Final Course Paper-7 Information Technology and Strategic Management. If you are Hindi Medium student then, you may also download FR study material in Hindi Medium.