ICAI has scheduled the next Practical Training (PT) assessment test on February 3, 2019. You have to register on or before January 21, 2018 for appearing in PT to be held on 3-Feb-2019.
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) has introduced Articleship Training Test at pttest.icai.org. Practical Training Assessment Tests (PTA Test) shall be for CA Intermediate Students. This test would be conducted after completion of first and second year of practical training.
PTA Test would be based on online Multiple Choice Question (MCQ). CA Students will be assigned grades instead of marks. Grade would appear on your final marksheet. You may click here to check your articleship status with ICAI.
Students are advised to register for the tests well in time to avoid last minute hassles. Recently ICAI has announced two dates for PTA Test. However, if the students are unable to register for the coming tests, they they will be able to register for future examination dates.
- Online Application Form Starts at 5.00 PM on 14th JAN, 2019.
- Last Date: Monday, 21st January, 2019
- Date of Examination: February 3, 2019.
How to register for ICAI Practical Training Assessment Test
The eligible students may register for test on any of these dates. Register online through the registration portal pttest.icai.org till January 21, 2019. You may choose your preferred test date and examination location.
The students who have completed their 1st/ 2nd year of practical training during the second, third and fourth quarter of 2018, i.e. April-June, 2018, July-September, 2018 and October-December, 2018 are eligible to appear in this test. The students who have already appeared in the tests during 2018 and wish to improve their performance/ grade can re-appear on February 3, 2019.
In such case, the best of the grade will be given in the marksheet. Similarly, the students who have registered for test held in 2018 but could not appear due to some reason, can also register for February 3, 2019.
Structure of Practical Training Assessment
The students after completing their 1st/ 2nd year of practical training in a particular quarter of a year would be eligible to register for the practical training assessment test in the subsequent quarter. The 1st test was successfully conducted on September 23, 2018.
Update [1-Feb-2019]: ICAI has been decided to include questions on current Economic and Business affairs of 8-10 marks at both the levels of practical training assessment. There would be 8-10 compulsory questions of 1 mark each at both the levels. This change in the structure of question paper would be effective from June, 2019 and the study content would be provided to the students starting from the February, 2019 issue of the Students’ Journal.
The study content related to the same would be published in “The Chartered Accountant Student” – the monthly journal being published for students. The questions would be asked from the last three issues of Students’ Journal prior to the date of examination. The revised structure of question paper would be as below:
Articleship Training Test (1st Level):
In the test, Accounting and Auditing (including Corporate Laws) will be mandatory for both the levels. Student has to select one out of the three optional module for 1st level test. It will be related to their practical training specialisation area. The modules, number of questions and marks bifurcation for 1st level will be:
|Compulsory||50||Accounting and Auditing (including Corporate Laws and Current Affairs)||50 (including 8-10 questions of Current Affairs)||1|
In effect, 1st level test will have 75 questions of 1 mark each.
Articleship Training Test (2nd Level):
For 2nd level, Accounting and Auditing (including Corporate Laws) will be mandatory. In addition, student has to select two modules out of the three optional modules related to their practical training specialisation area. The modules, number of questions and marks bifurcation for 2nd level will be:
|Compulsory||50||Accounting and Auditing (including Corporate Laws and Current Affairs)||30 (including 8-10 questions of Current Affairs)||1|
|Optional||25||Direct Tax including international taxation||15||1|
In effect, 2nd level exam will have 80 questions out of which 60 questions will be of 1 mark each and 20 questions will be of 2 marks each.
Students are requested to take note of the above and start their test preparation accordingly.
ICAI has released admit card for Practical Training Assessment to be held on 3-Feb-2019. Please login to your account and download for appearing in Articleship assessment test.
Assessment of CA Intermediate Students during Practical Training
ICAI has introduced online MCQ based compulsory Articleship Training Test with Grading for CA Intermediate Students after completion of first and second year of practical training. In other words, assessment of CA Students after completion of 1st and 2nd year of articleship.
Main Features of Articleship Training Test:
Following are the main features of Practical or Articleship Training Test of CA Inter course students:
- ICAI shall evaluate CA Intermediate Students after completion of their first and second year of practical training.
- CA Institute shall conduct online MCQ based tests for CA Intermediate Course students.
- Articleship Training Test (ATT) would examine the knowledge gained by CA Intermediate student during the course of practical training.
- ICAI wants to check the ability of students to apply his subject specific skills while undergoing his training in that particular area.
- ATT would be of 75 marks (Duration: 2 hours) for 1st year students.
- ATT would be of 100 marks (Duration: 3 hours) for 2nd year students.
- The students completing their 1st or 2nd year of practical training in a particular quarter of a year would be eligible to register for the said test in the subsequent quarter.
- The first test for both the category of students was held on September 23, 2018.
- The students who would be completing their 1st/ 2nd year of practical training during the second quarter of 2018, i.e. April-June, 2018 would be eligible to appear in these assessments during August-December, 2018.
- The student completing his/her 1st/ 2nd year of practical training during April‐June, 2018 will be supposed to appear in the respective test till March, 2019.
- Concerned students are advised to practice the sample questions uploaded in BoS Knowledge Portal on the Institute website.
- Students will be assigned grades based on their performance in the assessments as below:
|80% and above||A grade|
|60% and above but below 80%||B grade|
|40% and above but below 60%||C grade|
|Below 40%||D grade|
- The grades would appear on the final marksheet of the student. A student can appear in the particular test at a maximum of two more times to improve his/ her grade by paying a nominal fee. The best grade out of all the grades scored, would be taken for inclusion in the marksheet.
14) In the test, Accounting and Auditing (including Corporate Laws) of 50 marks will be mandatory.
15) Students would be selecting one optional module at 1st level test and two optional modules at 2nd level test, related to their practical training specialisation area.
- The optional modules (each comprising 25 marks) would be:
|S. No.||First Year||Second Year|
|1||Direct Tax||Direct Tax including International Taxation|
|2||Indirect Tax||Indirect Tax|
|3||Internal Audit||Internal Audit|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are also available on the Institute website at the link given below:
Clarification regarding Date of Completion of First/ Second year of Practical Training for Practical Training Assessment Test
Articleship Completion Date for PTST:
Students may note that for the purpose of appearing in Practical Training Assessment test, the first/ second year completion date would be calculated as one year/ two years after the date of commencement of practical training irrespective of excess leaves.
For instance, if a student has commenced practical training on July 1, 2017, taken leaves from January 1, 2018 to February 1, 2018, his/ her first year completion date for the purpose of assessment test would be considered as June 30, 2018 and second year completion date as June 30, 2019.
Articleship Transfer for PTST:
In case of termination/ transfer, the time gap during transfer from one principal to another principal will not be included in calculating first/ second year of practical training. For instance, if a student has commenced practical training on July 1, 2017, taken transfer on January 1, 2018 and then joined new Principal on February 1, 2018, his/ her first year completion date for the purpose of assessment test would be extended to July 31, 2018 and second year completion date as July 31, 2019.
Further details would be hosted through announcement on the Institute website only. For further clarifications, if any, you may write to PTassessment@icai.in