CA Foundation eligibility is only 10+2 class. A student who has appeared in the Class 12 examination may register for CA Foundation Course. If you have completed your graduation, you need not require to register for CA Foundation Course. Graduates are exempted from CA Foundation registration. They may directly register for CA Intermediate Course.
After registration you have to complete at least 4 months study period. Thereafter, you will be eligible for appearing in CA Foundation Examination only after passing 10+2 i.e. the Senior Secondary Exam.
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) conducts CA Foundation exams twice every year. The first exam was held in the month of May 2018.
Accordingly, if you registered on or before 30th June 2019, you will be eligible for appearing in Nov 2019 exams. Similarly, a student registered on or before 31st December 2019 will be eligible to appear in May 2020 CA Foundation examination.
Eligibility for Registration in CA Foundation Course 2019
As per newly inserted Regulation 25E in the Chartered Accountants Regulations, 1988, you have to fulfill the following criteria to register yourself for the Foundation Course of ICAI. That means you will be eligible for registration in CA Foundation Course if you have:
1) Appeared in 12th Class Exam:
Senior Secondary (10+2) i.e. Higher Secondary (HS) Examination conducted by an examining body constituted by law in India; or
2) Appeared in 10+2 Equivalent Exam:
An examination recognised by the Central Government (CG) or the State Government (SG) as equivalent to 12th Class examination for the purpose of admission to graduation course.
Note: Scroll down to see, I have listed all examinations which are equivalent to 10+2 class exams.
CA Foundation Course Registration Fee:
The council shall fix the fee from time to time for registration to the CA Foundation Course. However, such fee shall not exceed ₹25,000.
Currently, CA Foundation Registration Fee is ₹9,000 or if you are paying in dollar (for foreign students) then you have to pay $700 only.
Eligibility for Admission to the CA Foundation Examination 2019
In accordance with the newly inserted Regulation 25F, the following candidates shall be eligible for admission to the CA Foundation Examination to be conducted by the CA Institute.
1) Register with ICAI:
You have to register with the Board of Studies (BOS) of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India on or before the following last date:
- For May term of CA Foundation Exam: 31st day of December Last Year.
- For December term of CA Foundation Exam: 30th day of June of Current Year.
In other words, the last date to register with ICAI for eligible to appear in the CA Foundation Examination to be held in the months of May 2019 and November 2019 is 31st day of Dec 2018 or 30th day of June 2019 respectively.
2) Class XII Passed Candidates:
You have passed the Senior Secondary (10+2) examination conducted by an examining body constituted by law in India or an examination recognised by the Central Government or the State Government as equivalent thereto for the purpose of admission to graduation course.
Accordingly, you have to register with Board of Studies (BoS) of ICAI just after appearing in Class XII examination. Following are the cut-off date for appearing in the respective CA Foundation examinations:
Last Date for Registration
To Appear for Foundation Exams
November 2019 Exam
May 2020 Exam
November 2020 Exam
May 2021 Exam
November 2021 Exam
May 2022 Exam
Last date of registration in CA Foundation Course to appear in CA Foundation May 2019 Exam is 31st Dec 2018.
To appear in respective CA Foundation exam you have to complete four months study period. Register till 30th June 2019 for November 2019 Examination. In case you register after 30th June 2019, you will be eligible for CA Foundation May 2020 exams under the Revised Scheme of Education and Training.
CA Foundation Exam Fee:
A candidate for the Foundation examination shall pay fees fixed by the Council of CA Institute. However, in any case such fee shall not exceed ₹10,000. A candidate for the Foundation examination shall be examined in the syllabus approved by the Council from time to time.
Currently, CA Foundation exam fee is ₹1,500 or $325 for foreign students appearing in Abu Dubai, Dubai and Muscat foreign exam centres.
Requirement for passing CA Foundation Examination
According to newly inserted Regulation 36B, a candidate for the CA Foundation Examination shall ordinarily be declared to have passed the examination if he:
- Obtains at one sitting a minimum of forty per cent. (40%) marks in each paper; and
- A minimum of fifty per cent. (50%) marks in the aggregate of all the papers.
Note that the Council of CA Institute has approved the criteria of negative marking for Papers 3 & 4 only and not for subjective papers i.e. 1 & 2.
Examinations Equivalent to 12th Class Examinations
List of Examinations treated as equivalent to Senior Secondary Examination:
- Board of Intermediate Education, Andhra Pradesh
- Assam Higher Secondary Education Council
- Bihar School Examination Board
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE)
- Chhatisgarh Board of Secondary Education
- Council for Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE)
- Goa Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education
- Gujarat Secondary & Higher Secondary Education
- Board of School Education, Haryana
- P. Board of School Education
- J & K State Board of School Education
- Jharkhand Academic Council
- Government of Karnataka Department of Pre-University Education
- Kerala Board of Higher Secondary Education
- Maharashtra State Board of Secondary & Higher Secondary Education
- Board of Secondary Education, Madhya Pradesh
- Council of Higher Secondary Education, Manipur
- Meghalaya Board of School Education
- Mizoram Board of School Education
- Nagaland Board of School Education
- Council of Higher Secondary Education, Orissa
- Punjab School Education Board
- Board of Secondary Education, Rajasthan
- Tamil Nadu State Board of School Examinations
- Tripura Board of Secondary Education
- P. Board of High School and Intermediate Education
- Board of School Education, Uttarkhand
- West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education
- Chhatisgarh State Open School
- P. State Open School
- National Institute of Open Schooling
- Rajasthan State Open School
- The West Bengal Council of Ravindra Open Schooling
- Banasthali Vidyapith
- Five passes at GCE ‘O’ level/GCSE/IGCSE in A/B/C Grades and two passes at GCE ‘Advanced’ level examination of the approved British Examining Bodies is recognized by the Association of Indian Universities as equivalent to +2 stage qualification of an Indian Body.
- Students who have completed two years of higher education including Diploma course after passing 10th class, conducted either by Central/ State Government(s) and on passing such a course have either been admitted to first year of graduation course or have passed the graduation course conducted by any University, including Open Universities, established by law in India shall be also eligible for admission to the Foundation Course.
- 10+2 Examination of any other recognized Board/University not covered above but recognized by Association of Indian Universities (AIU) as equivalent to Senior Secondary (10+2) Examination as recognized by Central Government.